I went on a search for a paleo energy bar that did not taste like dirt and wasn’t complicated. And I had a very difficult time, SO I decided to find a random recipe and modify! Yikes! The original recipe was dairy and gluten ridden, but I think the ratio of ingredients was what I was looking for. And then, ta-da! We have bliss. Yummy, gooeyness, gives me lots of energy, yum. So, here you go:
Large mixing bowl
2 – 8×8 inch baking pans
8-10 cups – of whatever (cashews, pecans, almonds, walnuts, raisins, dried cherries, dried coconut, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, etc) *Peanuts are NOT a nut! They are a legume = not paleo. See! You learn something new every day!
2 cups – sweetener (honey, agave, etc)
1.5 cups – protein-rich butter of choice (almond, cashew, sunbutter, etc)
salt to taste
1. Heat the sweetener and butter in the microwave until you can mix them together. Not so they are hot!
2. Mix the dry ingredients in the large mixing bowl by hand, just so you have a nice mixture.
3. Pour the “wet” ingredients over the dry ingredients, then mix together (by hand with your mixing spoon) until all the dry ingredients appear to be coated.
4. Pour the yummy, sticky, ooey-gooey mixture into your baking pans, compress the ingredients down so your bars won’t fall apart. But don’t CRUSH the ingredients. Cover your pans with plastic wrap and stick in the refrigerator. This helps the bars hold together.
5. I leave them in the refrigerator over night, then the next day I cut them up, wrap them up and go.
*Definitely experiment with the butter to sweetener ratio to get less of the sweetener. I plan on doing that next time around. But it is so yummy as issssss…
*A Crossfit pal, Kier, told me the website http://www.ohnuts.com has a great variety, and is less expensive than the health food store for good quality nuts. Just FYI 🙂